MAKOM Pioneers has partnered with the Jewish National Fund to empower the Negev and Galilee from within.
2016 work Plan Guidelines and Vision
- MAKOM Pioneers is a natural partner to promote JNF’s “Blueprint Negev” and “Go North” strategic work plans, due to its unrivaled widespread, proven success and built-in flexibility.
- Given that MAKOM covers 95% of the Negev and Galilee, we wish to expand the work done with the support of JNF beyond training (done in 2015), and to partner on the basis of the work done on the ground, in order to scale the success and provide resources for the potential work at hand, focusing on bettering life in the Negev and Galilee hence attracting young new families and retaining existing ones.
- According to a 2011 Ben Gurion University research on what affects the decision of a young family to relocate to the Negev or Galilee; three main factors are recognized as determining whether a young family will relocate to the Negev and Galilee, or stay there after graduating college for example. These are:
- Employment and entrepreneurship opportunities.
- An engaging and appealing social and cultural environment.
- High quality education for the children (both formal and informal).
- MAKOM leadership teams have proved to be an effective force in this regard, tackling these issues in a systemic and grassroots approach throughout their many years of activity in the field.
- Promoting employment in the Negev and Galilee by establishing a network of social businesses and a supporting infrastructure.
- Creating an effective change across the Negev and Galilee in the creative arts, culture and leisure time activities thus laying the foundations for community building, strengthening existing communities, and population increase in the Negev and Galilee.
- Upgrading local education systems and promoting Zionist education, both within formal and informal systems, by initiating cutting-edge educational projects and integrating high-quality manpower into existing institutions.
- Collaborating with other JNF partners.
Locations and Details
When this grant was approved it was decided to allocate it to five different locations in the Negev and five in the Galilee (with a couple more added later), as to amplify the impact of JNF's support and enable JNF and MAKOM to showcase it to partners and donors. We looked for places that both need this kind of support, as well as places that could leverage an investment on the side of JNF.
During the first quarter of 2016, JNF's CEO in Israel held thorough tours of these locations in order to get a better sense of MAKOM's activity and the potential for JNF moving forward. At the outset, it is important to explain that in nine out of the ten locations MAKOM has more than one intentional community, and in some places more than five. Hence it was decided that JNF's support will be directed to several specific teams and their projects, with an emphasis on projects that bring different communities and sectors to work together.
MAKOM is uniquely positioned to deliver on this, due to the fact it is comprised of 14 different organizations that cover the entire spectrum of Israeli society. Eventually, it was agreed to structure the partnership between MAKOM and the JNF around these locations:
Carmiel - Misgav
In this document you will find the full work plan, that includes brief descriptions of MAKOM's activities in each location. Afterwards we will present the specific projects that are supported by JNF in 2016, with a detailed project card for each project which also serves as our tool for evaluation at the end of the year. Towards the end you will find a spreadsheet summarizing all of these communities and projects..